The armoire (a: ‘mwa:) – just a fancy word for wardrobe? Never would we utter such blaspheme here at Layer! Armoires are more than just wardrobes. They are ornate, gorgeous, majestic – so much more than just wardrobes!
Originating in France, armoires were traditionally large cabinets used for storing weapons and armoury. Seeing as the ownership of weapons and armoury has become less common (thank goodness), they are now widely used for storing clothes, shoes and kitchen accessories (yes, we know this is what a wardrobe is used for, but we repeat: an armoire is so much more than just a wardrobe!).
Have a modern kitchen that could do with some antique charm? Or perhaps a white-washed bedroom that is crying for a splash of glamour? Or maybe you’re simply obsessed with all things French vintage? An armoire may just be the answer you’re looking for. And we happily happen to have a range of gorgeous ones for you to browse.
From a stunning large 18th century carved oak French armoire to a Victorian bamboo one, with a wide price range, we have something to entice everyone. So go on, upgrade your wardrobe to an armoire, we promise you’ll never look back!
Words by Lucy Victoria Jackson, our wonderful contributing writer. You can read more about her work here.
- 5 Tips on How to Spot an Original Ercol Chair
- Meet the Designer: Jenny Branson
- The Best Antiques Shops on the Golborne Road
- Meet the Trader: Lucy Mortimer of Galapagos Furniture
- Meet the Designer: Sarah Ellison of Frank & Faber
- Meet The Designer: Jess Clark of Unique Home Stays
- Meet the Designer: Beata Heuman
- 9 Antiques Traders to Follow on Instagram
- Our Pick of Vintage Furniture Online for Under £100
- Markets in France: Villeneuve-les-Avignon Flea Market