As everyone knows, here at Layer we champion the fusion of the old with the new and what better way to inject some “old” into a space than by rolling with a preloved accent chair. Accent chairs are the perfect opportunity to prove that great design pieces can sit happily alongside the unexpected in total harmony whilst also injecting some unique personality into the space. They are a bit like handbags, meaning that you can never have enough!
They come in all shapes and sizes with differing provenances which means that there is a price point for everyone. Without breaking the bank, you can change the whole look and feel of a space.
What could be better than an original 1940s leather club chair with all its worn patina sitting in that special corner ready to embrace you or a beautiful, authentic French gilt chair adorned with one of the latest geometric cushions?
With our ongoing love affair with mid century, there are a number of more affordable options which are there for the taking. An Italian 1930s upholstered armchair with Gio Ponti style legs (those beautiful petite metal ones) is the ultimate in decadence and glamour, or a classic Danish rosewood framed armchair for total style and that grown-up vibe!
Staying with the mid century vibe but taking things in a Scandi direction why not look out for a cute little rattan Danish number which would ease itself into almost any space, or a sublime leather Falcon piece by Sigurd Ressell. If pricey Danish pieces are out of your budget, we have been suitably impressed by recently found gems from the Czech Republic.
- 5 Tips on How to Spot an Original Ercol Chair
- Meet the Designer: Justine Hodgson-Barker of Barker Design
- Meet the Designer: Clare Morton of Studio Morton
- Meet the Designer: Nikki Rees
- One Vintage Drinks Trolley Three Ways
- Meet The Designer: Jess Clark of Unique Home Stays
- Make a Statement with a Preloved Chair
- The Best Antiques Shops on the Golborne Road
- Meet the Designer: Charlie North of The Hoxton Hotels
- Meet the Designer: Charu Gandhi of Elicyon