Fashion and textiles designer Pearl Lowe offers a personal insight into her lifelong passion for vintage and timeworn. Her love of vintage fashion echoes throughout the design of her wonderfully eclectic family home in Frome, Somerset.
The singer-turned-designer has enjoyed a varied career which includes the release of a vintage craft book, producing a cookbook of healthy recipes with her model daughter Daisy Lowe and Pearl’s latest project – a luxury children’s lifestyle brand, creating bespoke clothing for children.
Her home and sanctuary is a treasure trove of decadent fabrics, gold Florentine accessories and beautiful chandeliers – perfectly reflective of Pearl’s trademark style.
What does home mean to you?
It means everything to me! I’m such a homebody.
How would you describe your style when it comes to decorating your home?
I love the faded glamour boudoir look. I’m really into the 1920s decor. Dark muted colours, fringe lamps and piano shawls.
When did you become interested in objects with a history and provenance?
Since leaving home, I’ve always been interested in objects of history and provenance. Now I live in Somerset, (which is a an absolute mecca for beautiful antiques), I’ve managed to find so many wonderful pieces to add to my collection.
What are your three most treasured ‘vintage’ pieces?
My Art Deco mirrored dressing table, my Edwardian display cabinet and my gypsy caravan.
What would be your top interior design tip for our readers?
Only buy things that you can’t live without. Live empty until you find the right thing. There is nothing worse than having pieces you don’t like, just to fill a space.
Photographer: Simon Brown
Pearl Lowe has launched a new luxury children’s lifestyle brand – Petite. Visit pearllowe.co.uk for more information.
ON THE MARKETPLACE
- 5 Tips on How to Spot an Original Ercol Chair
- Meet the Designer: Jenny Branson
- The Best Antiques Shops on the Golborne Road
- Meet the Trader: Lucy Mortimer of Galapagos Furniture
- Meet the Designer: Sarah Ellison of Frank & Faber
- Meet The Designer: Jess Clark of Unique Home Stays
- Meet the Designer: Beata Heuman
- 9 Antiques Traders to Follow on Instagram
- Our Pick of Vintage Furniture Online for Under £100
- Markets in France: Villeneuve-les-Avignon Flea Market