Sideboards – or credenzas as they are sometimes referred to – are high on our ‘must-have’ list here at Layer. Given the chance, we would have one in every room – the dining room to store those all important crockery pieces and linen, the TV room to hide a multitude of family sins, hallways and even bedrooms would welcome them with open arms from a utility perspective.
But the real fun starts with the decorative aspect where you can truly imprint your personality into the space – layering pieces from vases to books, lamps, flowers and plants – in fact anything goes. We once saw a credenza that had been solely used to showcase someone’s collection of white porcelain vases of varying sizes and dimensions and it looked amazing. You can also use the space above the sideboard to complete the vignette by hanging a gallery wall or a single, statement piece of art. For more inspiration, check out our post Styling a Sideboard Three Ways.
The mid century craze has only increased our fascination with the sideboard so rather than opting for a newly manufactured piece why not select something with a history and provenance. Depending on your preference and budget, you can shop for almost any style here at Layer. From the more affordable G-plan or vintage retro options to a beautiful Danish Rosewood beauty, the choice is yours.
- 5 Tips on How to Spot an Original Ercol Chair
- Meet the Designer: Jenny Branson
- The Best Antiques Shops on the Golborne Road
- Meet the Trader: Lucy Mortimer of Galapagos Furniture
- Meet the Designer: Sarah Ellison of Frank & Faber
- Meet The Designer: Jess Clark of Unique Home Stays
- Meet the Designer: Beata Heuman
- 9 Antiques Traders to Follow on Instagram
- Our Pick of Vintage Furniture Online for Under £100
- Markets in France: Villeneuve-les-Avignon Flea Market